Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

So much food ... so little time

Because I have tomorrow (Monday) off I didn't have my usual frenzy of grocery shopping and cooking before the sun goes down on Sunday.  But - I still did grocery shop for the week.  I am trying so hard not to over-buy, but I really am not able to go again during the week so I have to really do a close estimate of what will get me through to the following Saturday, including fresh foods like vegetables and fruits.

I thought I was perfectly planning - but then we landed up making extra things today (not to mention that my husband brought home a half of cooked chicken from the restaurant, and I had forgotten I had an entire meal leftover from salmon and sweet potatoes).  Not to worry... I didn't overstock too badly.

I did get ingredients for a new soup I never tried: Italian-inspired vegetable soup.  This might require a WW eTools membership to get to, and if so and you can't get there, just let me tell you it uses escarole, fennel, spinach, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and all sorts of other goodies.  I'm very happy with the soup I've been making for several weeks, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try something new.  I also didn't make my stuffed cabbage casserole (another thing I've been making every week for 3-4 weeks - it's a great take-along for lunch).  My husband made some sort of marvelous stuffed chicken breasts for dinner (stuffed with fresh spinach, rice, almonds, onions, red peppers, and I don't know what else) and while those are baking I have chicken thighs marinating that I will bake for me to use on salads all week.

If anyone lives near a Trader Joe's their BIG boxes of blueberries are in (for $5.99) so I got two of those, as well as 1/2 dozen packages of assorted greens for salads.  OH MY.  I just cannot control myself in a supermarket.  Giant cantaloupes are $2.99 but I am going to send my husband in to get those - he has a knack for picking melons that will ripen before they rot!

Anyway - I hope all this marvelous fresh produce will find its way to fit into my eating program.  The problem is not that I won't eat all that wonderful food, but that I will also dip into all the football snacks I bought for my husband and son!  I'm going to clean my bedroom today while the games are on and hopefully they will finish everything before I see the light of day.

Got up this morning and my knee was just fine!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm so happy.  No ill effects from the dancing yesterday.  Maybe things are looking up.  FINALLY.  Now if I could just drop these extra 50 pounds I'm carrying, I'm sure my other knee will feel better as well.

Enjoy the rest of your day - it's sunny and gorgeous here... I'll take the 8 degrees :) --- at least no snow!!!

Miriam

2 comments:

  1. It was great to "meet" you today!! I'm so excited for your upcoming trip in September! :)

    ReplyDelete