Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 3 of 100: DO IT ANYWAY

So - after much redirection and recalculating (and a decision NOT to prepare anything) I had a nice lunch with my mother and siblings.  I landed up getting a Trader Joe's hommos wrap with a bag of Weight Watchers baked multigrain crackers, and TJ's peach salsa and carrots.  I bought some TJ's lemon squares, quite impressed by their 80 calorie count, but when I opened the box and found that were about 3/4" square I decided they were definitely not worth the cost - except now I have 2 unaccounted for points left over.  I'm sure I'll find something!  AND, I don't even feel the need to continue eating (which I usually do after these lunches).  I think it is because I was in control of my lunch.

So today's "lesson" is "DO IT ANYWAY" - Linda gave two lists of characteristics: one for people who are "interested" and one for people who are "committed."  The list of the committed actions list was:  "Stick to their plans no matter what; Take action whether they feel like doing it or not; Assume that if they stay motivated results will follow; Take responsibility for their own actions; and Keep going in spite of challenges and setbacks. 

She asks you to identify a task you don't feel like doing, and do it anyway.  I think for myself it's using my bike DAILY, and drinking more water.  I NEVER feel like doing either of those things.  But on my path to "do it anyway" I will.  And, as I said in an earlier entry... I can certainly do it just for today.  I am not going to worry about tomorrow ... or the rest of my life.  She also says: "Notice how it feels to accomplish a goal by taking a "no matter what" approach to it.  I can identify with that immediately just with how I felt after lunch today.  It would have been easy to join in (OMG - my brother put out such a spread!) and to say that I didn't feel like eating the lunch I brought for myself.  But I brought a lovely lunch, and I had it and enjoyed it, and didn't even look at the other possibilities on the table.  And I DO feel good! 

Tomorrow I am going wedding gown shopping with my daughter!  Her wedding is going to be in Tuscany in September.  I'm not going to have a typical "mother of the bride" dress - I figure if I am down at least 20 pounds I should be able to find something lovely at Macy's - or even TJMaxx or Marshalls. (Did I already write that in another post?  sorry!)  Everyone is asking me if I've started shopping for a dress yet.  Even if I wasn't on a diet I would not be shopping in January for a dress I'm wearing in September! -- But I bet I'll be mighty happy to be doing my shopping in July or August -- especially if I stick to a "DO IT ANYWAY" way of life!

Happy day!
Miriam

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing both your story and the book. I have since downloaded it...I believe I am 1 day behind you. It scares me when I read a chapter and find....ooh, that is so me! Time to recognize it and tweak it for success.

    Have fun shopping.......you will be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miriam
    Thank you for this blog. I am ready to commit for 100 days. Thanks for setting me on the right track. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete