Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

First class of the new semester

Well my belly dance class started this morning.  I changed the time to 10AM (from 9:30AM) so I could go to my favorite WW meeting in the morning.  I still have to leave early at 9:30 - this leader has meetings that go more than an hour (they start at 9 and rarely end before 10), but it was nice to be part of a meeting I enjoy - even if I had to leave early.  I didn't get on the scale this week so nothing to report, but I had a lot of NSVs this week and am pleased.

So my first class of the new session began.  My goal is to be able to do the full drill with them.  I made it maybe 3/4 of the way through ).  But I realized something that I am NOT happy about - my arms were exhausted and I couldn't keep them up and had to dance with them down by my side.  Because I haven't been dancing I also haven't been working my arms.  I am going to start tonight with light weights.  It's unbelievable how heavy your arms are just by their own weight!  During the performance class I also danced a little bit.  We have a recital on March 31st, and I am seriously toying with doing a 5-minute piece.  Most of my students have never seen me perform (they take lessons with me on faith because of my reputation) and they have been so understanding of my limitations all these years (they have seen me not only through my knee replacement, but also rotator cuff surgery a year prior to that... never mind the tendinitis in my feet - boy I'm a mess!) so dancing at the recital is as much for them as it would be for me.

I came home and slept for an hour.  I was beat!  BUT ---- MY KNEE FEELS FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Prior to surgery I would have to ice and elevate the rest of the day, even if I had barely danced in class.  So - for the FIRST time I am really confident I made the right decision!  HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now that I am napped and rested I am gong to make my grocery list for the week.  Even though it's dark already I might go out and do half my shopping so I don't have to do it all tomorrow.  On the other hand, I have to remember that I have Monday off so there isn't the usual rush to do all my shopping on Saturday and all my cooking on Sunday.  Maybe I'll actually just sit and relax the rest of the night... whatta concept!

Enjoy your weekend everyone, and if you have Monday off, enjoy it extra special!

Miriam

1 comment: