Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day 6 of 100: Boy did I need today's lesson!

Hi - my boys are in the other room watching football and EATING!!!!!  Nothing wrong with eating but my husband made a spread that would rival any - all homemade: guacamole, hommos, foul m'dammas (fava bean salad), cheeses, fruits, all kinds of chips, olives, etc. etc. Then between games he's making some sort of wonderful dinner - chicken francaise I think.  So I am thinking do I dare eat it all and then announce that I am a fraud?  I gathered myself and opened my 100 Days book and what is today's lesson? "Protect your program at all costs!"  What is nice is that she also gave very concrete ways to assist you with this.

Earlier in the day I had already told my husband that I was going to eat on my own - my worst days are Fridays and Sundays, when he is home, because we eat SO late, and unless I am in control of the menu, he makes things that are just too much (in quantity) and too good (in terms of things I would rather stay away from, even though I can weigh, measure and count and still have them).  So I was already thinking to protect my program.  But when he laid all the appetizers out my resolve was starting to quiver a bit.

I had a nice hot cup of coffee, re-read the day's lesson, and took out my laptop.  I have to honestly say I'm not even torn (i.e., dying to go to the living room to join the boys) - I am just running some dinner ideas through my mind instead.   Believe me, the boys don't even miss me, and won't think twice that I'm not sitting down with them during the later game.  And that was even one of the comments in today's lesson - that you could probably skip food during the entire event and no one would even notice that you didn't eat.

Interesting - how often do we eat when we are with others because we think they notice... or even care?

So I made a few things today that I am going to have for my dinner.  I didn't take pictures, but here are two recipes.  The first one is from Hungry Girl: Inside out Bacon Cheeseburgers, and are 4PP+ each:
I take one pound of 93% lean beef and divide it into 4 and flatten out each 1/4 pound.  In the center I put one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and 1 TBS of real bacon bits (Hormel is one brand that makes these). I also added some finely chopped red onion. I close up the burger and voila - an inside out bacon cheeseburger!  I'll do that on the George Foreman.  I have three more to get through the week (it takes all of 5 minutes to prepare all four burgers!).

Second recipe is a remake from an original WW site recipe and it is ZERO PP+ and you will hear me talk about it often:  One large naval orange; 1 12 ounce package of fresh cranberries; 1/4 - 1/2 cup Splenda (the original WW recipe actually called for a cup of real sugar - so you can use real sugar if you want to stay away from the artificial sweetener, but then you have to adjust the points/calories).  I divide the ingredients into two batches and put in food processor.  Use the low flat blade that it, or a "chopster" comes with.  The original recipe also calls for about an inch of fresh ginger.  I do use it if I remember to buy it!  That's it.

So while my boys are consuming around 1000 calories this evening I am having my burger, cranberry relish and a fresh salad.  I think they are going to come around to see what *I* am eating!

I haven't been biking lately.  I have not been plowing my fields, only thinking about it. This week I MUST drink water and bike.  If you can forgive me - or rather, if I can forgive myself - I am going to start tomorrow.  Also, after Day 7 tomorrow, I think I am going to take a day or two to reflect over the week.  This first week of Days has been very intense, and I need time to digest it all.

If you are football fans, enjoy the rest of the game(s)!!!

Miriam

2 comments:

  1. Oops, looks like I posted on yesterday's entry rather than today...though my comments were referring to today's entry! Oh, well...

    I haven't plowed any fields either...but tomorrow is Day 1 of my 100 Day Challenge....time to commit!!! Will restart my blog tomorrow, too, so come on by! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That relish looks great. I am guessing that I can sub the splenda or sugar with stevia and have it sweet and natural. Yum.

    ReplyDelete