Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Days 8, 9 and 10 - it's all about support!

The next 3 days, which complete Days 1-10, are all about support: Asking for what you need, identifying your support systems and appreciating good support.  I am very lucky in that my entire family is supportive.  My husband has drastically altered his way of cooking to accommodate me - although once in a while he says "I know you like this with less butter but I just had to make the original recipe... but I made a plain ___ for you."  So the "good stuff" still sometimes makes its way to the table, but he always makes sure there is a different version of whatever it is, for me.  My daughter, on her own weight loss journey with her fiance, is always supportive, and my brother, who joined WW because of me, always supports my food choices and requests (and he's very "good" about our lunches with mom - letting me take the lead in what we will be having).

But the biggest family supporter is my son, who is a wonderful example of eating right and fitness goals.  Because of him I've made the final decision to join the Y.  I am going tonight to get the paperwork and have a meeting tomorrow morning for a "Wellness Consultation"  - the description is: "You will work together (with your consultant) to identify programs and activities at the Y that will help support you in reaching your goals.  Your consultant will help you put together a plan to get started, get back on track or move to the next level.    Then on Monday night I have an "Equipment Orientation" where (for free) I get two 45 minute sessions with a trainer who will set up a work-out card and figure out what is best for my situation, health and goals.

THEN I'm also signing up for the "In it to lose it team fitness challenge" that starts on February 27th.  So all in all, I think I am absolutely making the correct decision to cancel my WW membership and use the time and money for the Y.  My son and I will split the cost of a family membership (they are bending over backwards to work with the fact that he already has, and has paid for, an individual membership) and it comes to $40 each (per month).  There is also a pool and steam room (although I would have loved a hot tub) but for now I'm going to work on the strengthening equipment.  What's nice is that if I do this all on my way home from work I am 5 minutes away from home.  Or, on days I don't have to come in early, I can even go before work and leave from there.  There's also a yoga class I'm interested in, but I have to talk to the instructor to see if I can handle it, as I can't be on my knees at all.

I have also to thank my in-person friends (especially the gals at work who are always complimenting me and who are supportive when we face down "office food") and especially my cyber-girlfriends.  These include all the wonderful people I have met on various websites, in chat rooms, on blogs (and thank you especially if you are followers of this blog), and especially those closest with whom I share daily emails, chats and updates, trials and tribulations -and successes! 

I'm looking forward to moving on to Day 11 tomorrow.  Sometimes I feel like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day" needing to repeat Days 1-7 over and over again.  But now with the commitment to the Y, I hope I can move on.




Dear Groundhog: I know it's your official day on Thursday, but please... I'm done with you for now!

Miriam

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what I'd do without my Y, Miriam! I've been a member for almost as long as I've lived here (close to three decades!). It's only five minutes from where I live - and it's where I go for my swimming therapy. I do plan to add weights to my program - and will need another orientation as it's been a while since I've used them. Anyway, I think you did well to join the Y rather than re-join WW. One of the main "advantages" for attending WW meetings is the support - and that you have plenty of right here with all of your online buddies! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ordered the book, Miriam. You both have inspired me. Keep up the good work. Hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete