Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Monday, October 31, 2011

Finally! A no-drama day

And boy was it nice!  We lost power in the storm Saturday night - but were one of the lucky ones - still thousands of homes in the area still without.  In the morning we made plans to spend the day at my brother's house but when our power came back on at 11AM we decided to stay close to home... there were 3 or 4 football games piggybacking on one another and my husband preferred not to spend an hour on the road getting home between them (or staying until 9 or 10PM until they were over).  Fine by me!

I was actually dressed and ready to bolt (I always go out on Sunday afternoons during football), but every time I gathered my keys and my purse and went to the head of the stairs I just went back into bed.  This happened 4 or 5 times until I finally just took my shoes off and called it a day.  I realized that I DESERVED to stay home and rest and do NOTHING.  I did make a huge pot of 15-bean soup, but all my grocery shopping had been done for the week, and my husband was going out to get dinner and make it besides (we had swordfish, fingerling potatoes, string beans and salad).

I felt that I should be doing something - like planning the week's meals, cleaning, laundry,read,  something! I did change the kitty litter - but even my husband went out and got it for me because I didn't get it on Saturday.  Anyway, I spent the day in bed watching a SVU marathon.  I still can't believe that's all I did.  Not only was there no family drama with regard to anything, but there were no obligations to be met (well besides changing the poor thing's kitty litter) or things to do.  Believe me - it wasn't boring at all - it was quite delightful, indeed.

I just have one question: I'm a great believer in the "This too shall pass" outlook on life, and I would like to know WHY I get sucked into drama - when there is nothing I can do about it and when I KNOW it will pass.  This time around it passed in record time - maybe 4 days.  WHY do I do that to myself?????

I was going to go to the gym to use the hot tub today for my stretching, but I have a small compartmental swelling that was bothering me this morning (that's probably the last thing to go away) - I figured I needed ice and not a soak in 100+ degree water.  I'm starting to wonder whether - although it feels GREAT - if it would be better to nix the hot tub soaks/stretches... I wonder if that is hampering or helping.  Can you believe I am STILL trying to figure things out????

Breakfast:  WW bagel and 2 wedges LC cheese.  I changed up the sliced tomatoes though, and sprinkled on zatar (a middle eastern spice) and put fresh cucumbers;  coffee (6)
Lunch:  Ham sandwich on WW rye bread with salad/olive oil; popcorn (7)
Snack: apple, string cheese, almonds (4)

Dinner: steamed veggies (I have a "medley" of carrots, broccoli and string beans that I"ll steam)
chicken Parmesan: Baked chicken cutlet (4) with 1/2 cup sauce (1) and Parmesan cheese (1)
Snack:  Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1 tbs walnuts (3)
Total" 26 - 1 over but that's okay by me :)

1 comment: