Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

So much candy... so little control

I was so careful this year.  I didn't buy any candy until coming home at around 6PM.  We hardly ever have trick-or-treaters so I bought one large back of snack-sized M&Ms.  Truth be told, I would have been happy to sit in the dark with the lights out, but I didn't want to embarrass my son, who has, on occasion, bought full sized candy bars to give out. 

So I'm pulling into the driveway and there is my husband pulling in as well.  He took the night off because business was slow, and he, knowing my penchant for not buying Halloween candy, bought tons of it himself.  So here we are with about 150 pieces of candy (and good stuff, too) and only 4 kids who rang the bell. 

Sigh... about 10PM things got the better of me and I picked out a bunch of my favorites.  I figured the damage was minimal because I only ate it for about 15 minutes.  (Don't be impressed - it only took me that long to get through a dozen snack-sized various candies.)  My intention is to bring the rest to work to give to the gal who keeps a candy dish on her desk.  I should have just dumped it all in a shopping bag as I headed out the door - but I was in a rush and didn't give it too much thought until just now.  When I get home tonight I am going to put it all in the trunk of my car so it's out of the house.

On the knee front: I heard from a friend who is 10 months out from her surgery and she had the same experience that I did - she did too much, had a setback but now she's on the mend again.  She admonished me to not push my body because it will just push back.  Well put.  I'm dying to resume my walking, but this has been my first good week in almost a month, so I will see out the week without doing anything.  Maybe Monday I'll start again - but scale way back to what I had been doing.   This is a shout-out to Sandy if she's reading this (another TKR friend who had a setback): I love that you say you are "in training" for your WDW trip - that's just the way *I* feel - but YOU be careful too!

I find that I'm not connected to my tracking when I post it on the computer.  I'll still do it because I don't mind feedback if anyone thinks that changes would be "profitable" but I am going to return to paper tracking.  It's also easier to make changes as the day goes on.  What I enter here is more my INTENTION of what I plan to eat - by the time I go to bed, things may have changed (but hopefully always within Points). 

Breakfast:  WW bagel, LC cheese, coffee (6)
Lunch:  I'm done for now with my foray into sandwiches and am going to go back to putting my protein in my salad - it gives me an extra ounce, too - which is better than the Point spent on the bread:
Salad w/olive oil, 4 oz turkey breast, popcorn (7)
Snack: apple, cheese, almonds (4)
Dinner:  Chicken cutlet (5), broccoli, beets
Snack: yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1 tbs walnuts (3)
Total: 25
Notice: no candy

Have a great day and I hope not too many of you are suffering a candy hangover!

Miriam

1 comment:

  1. I had too many candies last night. I took all our leftovers to a food bank donation box first thing this morning.

    ReplyDelete