Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Morning After

No - don't worry - it's GOOD news.  For two days now I have  been following Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet and it has been SO easy.  (Flo - thank you for the recipe link.) My cravings have already begun to subside, and I feel normal again.  The "morning after" reference isn't that "hangover" mode - quite the opposite!

Last night I was laying in bed and spent close to two hours talking myself out of going to the kitchen to eat BBQ potato chips that I had bought for my guys.  The conversation went like this: One small bowl of chips won't hurt.  ... But you KNOW you won't stop at that.... Yes I will... No you won't... Okay then I will have some fruit... But you committed to Phase 1 to get rid of cravings... Okay, then I'll have potato chips.... Well it's 9PM and the kitchen is closed - that's a great rule.. But if I'm hungry I want to eat - there's no rule that says I have to go to sleep hungry...."  OMG this went back and forth for TWO hours.  But then instead of words I tried to hone in on the feelings - how I would feel in the morning if I gave in to the chips.  How I would hate myself and beat myself up and have to start all over again on day 1. 

But really, I was hungry.  So I made myself a plate of about 5 pieces of very thinly sliced deli turkey.  And this morning I feel great!  Willpower is like a muscle - when you exercise it, it gets stronger.  Maybe tonight the conversation will go on for only an hour!

Meanwhile, I had such a busy day - I started with 2 1/2 hours of teaching my belly dance class.  I was able to join the gals for part of the drills.  It felt so good to dance.  I just couldn't do the steps where I my right leg had to bear the weight.  That will still take a while.  Then I grocery shopped for at least two hours, making a detour to TJMaxx where I bought a new top and some glass Pyrex food storage containers (I'm trying to get away from plastic - it's expensive so I'm just going to get a couple of pieces at a time).  ETC.  So last night my legs (not just my knees) were just aching.  I found one prescription pill from after my surgery (stupid me threw them out because I didn't like them - but one pill escaped) and took that with TWO Advil-PMs and slept really well.  THAT coupled with not hating myself this morning feels just SO good.

I really was SO hungry the minute I woke up I grabbed a piece of chicken that was left from dinner last night!  I'll call that breakfast unless I make some eggs later.  Also having a coffee.
Lunch: Huge salad with olive oil, walnuts, and cut up chicken.
Dinner:  I am making brisket with lima beans.  I'm REALLY looking forward to that!
My new favorite evening treat (more than the Skinny Cow ice creams I've been having) is a small container of fat free Greek yogurt, walnuts and a spoon of splenda.  When I am off Phase 1 I will add 1/2 sliced banana to it.

Moral of the story:  Mornings after CAN be good!
Miriam

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! You are right that the will power muscle gets stronger with use! You won this round! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness you did GREAT! I'm having a "planned" splurge with a serving of Lays potato chips for lunch today. That's HUGE. I'm more of a stand at the counter and keep on grabbing from the bag!
    Have a wonderful day Miriam.

    ReplyDelete