Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Making Choices

Today I planned out my lunch - 2 veggie burgers on a full roll. But then I wanted a sweet corn and a salad with oil. It took a lot of discussion verging on argument with myself, but I put away one of the burgers and 1/2 of the roll, which left plenty of room for the salad and corn. Just as well - I was stuffed from what I ate - no way I needed the second burger.

I found today with PT it's also about choices. I received my brasilian futebol (a small rubber ball used in Brazilian soccer) - a wonderful PT tool I learned about in my knee replacement bible. It's going to take a while to become comfortable with the workout (and to learn it without having to refer to the book and pictures) - but I did that instead of my "bed" exercises. Anyone who has been through TKR home PT knows what I'm talking about - we are given a set of exercises to do at home: one set standing, one set sitting, and one set laying down.

I am finding that as I am adding more and more exercises I have the discretion to pick and choose - as long as all the muscles are covered, I've done enough range-of-motion exercises, and I've spent enough time on them.

I am finding it as hard to make choices about my PT exercises as it is about making choices about what to eat. But, with practice I am sure it will all come more naturally. 

The exercises I have recently started are moving beyond the scope of the knee (although I have to do them  because of the knee) - such as building glutes and quads.  Boy I was sore as heck today.  (Did I write that yesterday, too?)  I am ALMOST motivated to add a few other things like crunches and light weights for upper body.  The whole path to recovery is shaking my laziness out of mothballs.  I can't allow myself to slack off.  Even when my knee is totally recovered it is absolutely a "use it or lose it" situation - the phrase I heard and I like is "Motion is lotion."  If I don't keep moving (not the intensive things I do now, but SOME movement) I will lose what I've gained.  It would be the same if I didn't have a knee replacement - if you don't move your body pays the price.  Our bodies are meant to move.  This whole knee recovery is making me realize and respect that more than ever.

I didn't nap yesterday! As a result the late afternoon and early evening were much better than usual.  I found that by around 7 I needed my crutch instead of my cane - my body was aching and tired, but I didn't have that sick feeling that I've been having upon waking from a nap.  I will just have to move my bedtime up.  I needed to record a 10PM show that I had been looking forward to for weeks.  This is good, though, because hopefully my body will work it's way toward a more normal sleep cycle which is important for when I go back to work. 

"NSV" for today?  I got in and out of the shower myself without the use of my cane or my crutch.  I do have grab bars in the shower, but until now that hasn't been enough.  Today was a victory indeed!

Miriam


2 comments:

  1. Yay! \o/ waving my arms frantically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try to post a comment, though I've been unsuccessful in doing so previously. I applaud your positive attitude (wish we had emoticons as I would have posted an applauding one here). I know this is truly an uphill climb - perhaps more than any you've ever had in your entire life, but you are making wonderful progress!

    ReplyDelete