Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The forward and back dance

Feeling good (but slightly light blue) today... I haven't been in a store (except a few times to the grocery store) since my surgery.  So today I asked my husband to take me to TJMaxx, as I needed to pick up a gift for my mother.  On the way over I told him that if I couldn't find anything we could jump to the other TJMaxx location and also go into Marshalls.  OMG - I couldn't have been walking around the store more than 10 minutes when I had to navigate to the back where they have furniture so I could sit down for a few minutes.  After resting I made my way to the front of the store and told my husband we had to leave, and no I didn't want to go to Marshalls.

I was a bit upset as this is the first outing where I have felt this tired immediately.  He reminded me that I am working a lot on my balance and walking "normally" and that takes a lot of work on my body, even though it's not the same as something more physical like riding the bike or doing my exercises.  It made sense but I was no less deflated that I couldn't have the shopping excursion that I was looking forward to.

At PT today I was telling her that my sciatica is starting to rear its ugly head and we decided that I need to do some core exercises - maybe starting with some crunches at home, then on Friday she will work on others.  I actually (used to) have superb core strength because of my dancing, but 10 weeks in a recliner (preceded by months of needing to cut down on my activity because of arthritis pain) has left me very weak in the middle.  Doesn't help that I have blobs of stomach fat pulling my back forward!  OMG - an hour of exercise isn't enough?????  But I have to make this commitment if I am ever going to be "normal." 

So, all in all, I'm a little blue right now.  I have to read back to all the wonderful progress I've been making though.  HOWEVER, I do have a "NSV" to report today:  Not only did I get in the shower myself (which I actually accomplished a week or so ago) but I didn't announce it "just in case."  The next NSV with regard to showering will be when I dare to do it when no one is home!  So, a step forward... I guess.... maybe I'm not DARK blue! lol

Miriam

1 comment:

  1. Hope your light blue period has passed. Your husband is right--not being able to walk without thinking requires a tremendous amount of strength and energy. You are like me; you are expecting more of yourself than is probably possible. At your stage, I wouldn't have even considered going to TJ Maxx, and I certainly wouldn't have gone to the back of the store to sit down--I would have been out the door! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete