Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Almost Sorta Normal Saturday - kinda

The day started out nicely.  As expected, even though it was tough last night, it was decent this morning.  I was able to do my morning PT, including a couple of new exercises, none the worse for wear.  I did the bike twice at 6 minutes each time, and that really was a thrill.  Made me start to think about actually being able to do this as exercise and not PT at some time in the future!

Then after a nice healthy lunch - totally prepared by yours truly - I went grocery shopping at Trader Joe's.  My husband went ahead to Whole Foods, and I came out before he got back.  I have to tell you though, I was nauseous as heck and there was no where to sit, so I found a shady spot with the cart and just leaned on the cart and did some deep breathing.  I think it was mostly the heat and partly the exertion.  I said ALMOST sorta normal! 

We got back and I went straight into the pool.  I did some REAL swimming!  In the deep end, no less.  It felt so good to move, but I held back because I'm still not sure I should be doing this.  I am looking forward to getting my pool therapy program so I am sure I am making the most of pool time.  I do several things in the pool that I am sure fall under PT, but I would be more comfortable following a prescribed program so I know I am making the most of my time (in addition to the swimming!).  I am seeing the doctor on Wednesday - I don't know whether the swimming question is something he will answer or whether he will defer to the therapist.

I do have a list for him, though - including asking when it will be time to take ibuprofen.  To tell you the truth, I took it today anyway (without permission).  I got up from a nap after the pool and I thought my leg would fall off - I had cement leg along with pain in moving the knee.  I did ice and elevate, but I couldn't help myself - I took three Advils in hopes that that too would help with the swelling.  I also have a lot of pain in the medial compartment that I need him to check out, as well as pain along the very center front of my shin and on top of my foot at the ankle (but that is only with certain range-of-motion exercises).  I wonder if it has to do with the fact that he didn't just do the knee replacement but also straightened my bow leg.  I would have thought if I was going to have added troubles because of the straightening he would have told me, although maybe he didn't say anything because he doesn't want me to LOOK for trouble.  The physical therapist thought that maybe the straightening is contributing to some of the discomfort I have with certain exercises.  Anyway... I took the Advil and I'm feeling a little bit better.  I probably won't take it again until I see the doctor on Wednesday, but I really was in need of something different.  I did read today, though, that the swelling can take place off and on for a good part of the year... I'm not happy about it, but at least I'm not in a panic anymore that something is wrong specifically with ME.

Okay so maybe it wasn't an almost sorta normal Saturday, kinda... but it was a good one.  I can see myself feeling and getting better.  I feel more forward motion than backward motion.  Well... I feel the forward motion in any case....

I don't have plans for tomorrow... which is a good thing!  I have been out every single day this week, and maybe I will treat myself to a day moving from jammies to bathing suit back to jammies....

Have a good one!
Miriam

2 comments:

  1. You are doing so well and I'm so glad you are blogging this Miriam. I received an AARP newsletter, uh huh, I can't believe I'm that old either! ;) But there was an article in it about knee replacements. The comments were varied and interesting. Here is a link:
    http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-03-2011/knee-replacement-surgery.html
    Hope you have sweet dreams and heal during the night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are really getting out and about so soon!

    ReplyDelete