Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Friday, March 2, 2012

In it to Win it - back to ice and braces



I joined a Biggest-Loser type group at the YMCA that started last Monday night.  The coach (a former trainer for the Coast Guard, and whose father just had shoulder surgery) has been adapting everything for me as needed, but let me tell you - I am not off the hook at all.  On Wednesday I came in early and I could not believe it myself, but I did 20 minutes on the treadmill (granted... very slowly - only 2MPH) before the class even started.  The class starts with stretches and then a really tough cardio session ( up and down from the floor, jumping jacks, push-ups, jogging in place, etc.) but I take my cardio session on the rower.  As the girls are huffing and puffing and muttering under their breath I want to scream "You don't know how lucky you are!"

After that the coach sets up a circuit - everything from legs to abs to arms to any other part of your body that has muscles.  THAT I can do, although I was sort of scared on Wednesday because he added a balance board (one of those boards you stand on but there is a ball in the middle holding it up, so you have to use your core muscles to stay steady) but he stood by me until I was steady enough and could do the lifts with the medicine ball. I joked that next week I'm bringing my walker! The other circuit exercises he adapts for my knees and shoulders as needed.

One of the hardest portions is the stuff that is done on the floor to build core strength - planks, something called the beetle, and other dreadful things. 

After both Monday and Wednesday I have to tell you - my surgical knee was the least of my problems.  My other knee was in agony (even with the adjustments) and it was the first time ever that I saw the wisdom in having both knees replaced at the same time if it is called for.  No offense Sandy - but I thought you (and my friend Janine) were nuts!!  However, now I see that had I gone through the horrible recovery (which I still don't see how you can do both knees at once) it would be over and done with.

Anyway, I bought a new kind of icepack for my knee, and called my orthopedist (not my surgeon) and will ask him if Synvisc or cortisone is in order at this point. I was super lucky that he has a spot open on Tuesday afternoon so I don't have to wait too long. I also dug out my Donjoy brace for my left (non-replaced) knee  and will try to wear that in class if it doesn't restrict my movement too much.  I am NOT, however, going to stop going to the class.

A lot of my food choices this week were decided on two things:  (1) I worked too hard not to show a weight loss this week and (2) I owe it to my team.  So a doubly-whammy - to myself and to the team - has kept me in line.  I get on the scale tomorrow for myself tomorrow, and Monday for the team.

I haven't been doing the exercises or homework for 100-days Challenge right now.  My attention is absolutely on my physical and exercise needs.  HOWEVER,  this weekend I am taking on days 21 (eat with awareness), 22 (multitask with food) and 23 (savoring) and will report back!

Miriam

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Miriam!! It is when we stop trying we stop learning and wilt. You are going to be one hot mama come your daughter's wedding! Be careful not to outshine the bride!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the exercise. You have to be more than proud of yourself. Hope you are getting some laughs and giggles in with all of that exercise. I'm sure you are bringing smiles to the trainer's face just by being you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, your title scared me at first. So glad your trainer is accommodating you. If it's any consolation, there are days when I wonder if my recovery might have been faster if I had done the surgeries separately.

    ReplyDelete