Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Another good day


My feelings exactly about going to the gym!  Had my biggest loser group last night - didn't even break a sweat - but I was there!  It helped a lot to do standing exercises only.  I moved the entire hour, lifted lots of weights, did the bike and the rower - probably didn't even burn 100 calories, but at least I was there!  At least I was moving.  At least I made the effort.  AND the best part is - my knees are great!  I iced twice in the evening, took my Ultram and Tylenol before bed, and I'm fine this morning.  I couldn't be happier.

Okee-dokee then ---- I'm ready to move on with the 100-Days challenge!  Now that my gym crisis is behind me it's time to focus on something else.

I am going to add my own daily challenge and question here (I wouldn't be surprised it if comes later in the book):  The REAL cost of food.  When the money you save on "free" food comes at a cost far more than monetary.  Yesterday there was a conference at my place of business and after the conference members took their food, the rest was left on a table in the hallway for anyone to take.  I took my fair share to bring for lunch today at my mother's, but I ate my own lunch that I had brought - all weighed, measured and tracked.  It got me to thinking that had I taken the free food for my own lunch, the cost to me would have been more detrimental than the money I would spend by not having kept my own lunch for another day.  The food here is SO good, that not only would I have eaten more than one portion - it would have led to no tracking, (because I for sure wouldn't be weighing and measuring it!) but, more importantly, it would have led to a downward spiral:  "I ate this so I might as well eat that.  I blew it so why bother going to the gym.  It's already mid-week so the heck with it, I'll wait till NEXT Monday.  And so on, and so on."  This is a case where free food is NOT free.

It took me a long time to realize this.  I was brought up in a clean-plate household, and also to believe that whatever you can get for free -- TAKE IT (food or otherwise, whether you need it or not).    The realization of that habit has been particularly poignant, as weekly I have to empty my mother's walker bag and pocketbook - absolutely crammed with creamers, sugar packets, salt and pepper packets, paper towels, rubber gloves, diapers, uneaten fruits and cookies, etc.  Part of the Alzheimer's is the hoarding behavior, but also the reason it's there is because this "take it because it's free" mentality is so deeply ingrained that it became part of her Alzheimer's array of behavior.  Not that it's guaranteed that I can avoid that in my future, but I can certainly stop it now.

So that is today's lesson challenge for me!

Miriam

3 comments:

  1. Free food can also cost you another week at WW! My leader made that point when holiday candy was on sale. It wasn't a bargain if you had to pay for another week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you still went to the gym. Good job.

    ReplyDelete