Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

sick sick sick :(

Well first of all, on an up note, yesterday was a blast. Going straight to the food part... we went to Cheesecake Factory and my sister-in-law ordered her favorite appetizer plates.  I had a little bit of everything and didn't even consider an entree or dessert, even though we would have shared it.  I found, though, that on the way home, the fried food didn't sit well with me, but not to the point of feeling sick.  I did wake up hungry today, though, as I have to say we did a ton of walking (wish I had my pedometer with me - just curious) and I didn't have that much to eat last night.

Anyway - to the sick sick sick part.... today was my mother's 96th birthday!  We had a party for her at the nursing home.  Following a bagel brunch we had cake and ice cream.  I have to say that honestly, quantity-wise, I did not overeat and probably was at a 5-6 following the lunch, maybe sliding into a 7 by the time we finished ice cream and cake.

What I wanted to write about was how sick I felt on the drive home.  Not sick from being stuffed, but sick from what the foods from that lunch did to my stomach.  We rarely have processed flour/sugar foods at home and I am certain that it was the cake and ice cream that made me sick.  (And again, I don't think it was related to quantity... I have consumed MUCH more in the past.... I always joked that frosting was my favorite food group!)  Then I was thinking to how the bit of food I had last night didn't sit well with me either.
I know that when you get old, you don't have an iron stomach like you do when you are younger.  But I also wonder how much of it is a side-effect of my IE journey.  Along with tuning out hunger and satiety, I am sure I tuned out feelings of discomfort that certain foods would cause me.  I would venture to say that I probably never noticed how cake and frosting made me feel sick because I was already moaning how sick I felt from eating too much of it.

I will be interested to see how I begin to tune into how certain foods make me feel - alongside tuning in to my hunger/satiety scale.  It's a welcome side-effect because learning what makes me not feel well will also guide me to making healthier choices that my body craves.

So meanwhile, here I sit three hours after the party, still not feeling well.  But sort of glad for it!

Miriam

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you got sick over cake and ice cream yesterday...so did I! We had a belated birthday celebratory dinner with just the two of us at a nice restaurant, and my husband and I decided to share a dessert. Well, it was one of those "death by chocolate" cakes which I literally NEVER order as they tend to be so rich - and as if that was't enough, we added a scoop of ice cream to our order - YIKES! It was a large piece of chocolatey rich cake which tasted wonderfully while we ate it - down to every last crumb - but boy did I feel the ramifications on the way home! It also gave me the same "sick" feeling you described...and I felt that way the rest of the evening. When I woke up this morning at 7, I had no desire to eat. I did force myself to eat something 2 hours later only because we were going to church and then afterwards to see Mom and I knew I would eventually be hungry as it would be late before we got home. Anyway, what a coincidence - we were "sick, sick, sick" at the same time and for the same reason! You're very right, Miriam - the "lesson to be learned" from this is why we need to make healthier choices!

    ReplyDelete