Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Monday, December 23, 2013

The beauty of easing into things

Like the proverbial putting frogs into cold water then turning up the heat - they never notice that they are boiling! LOL  That just came to mind as I was reflecting on Day 2 of the "21-day transformation challenge" from Mark Sisson's book (based on the Primal Solution).  Day 1 was doing a purge of grains, fake foods, sugared items, etc.  DONE!   Day 2 (today) is a shopping spree to restock the kitchen: DONE!  Etc.  As I am reading all the food tasks I find that I am already there, and can concentrate on the other two essential parts of the program: exercise and relaxation techniques.    Food is only part of the changes to be made.

This morning I did the recumbent bike for 10 minutes.  I figured that even *I* could manage that.  At the end of 10 minutes I would have been comfortable doing more (that is the point) but was already one foot out the door to get to work.  I will do another 10 minutes tonight.  Also, because I am at work today, I will do the four flights down and up.  After the new year I would like to increase both activities.  Also, yesterday, I parked at one place and walked to the other (Flo if you are reading this: I parked at Walgreen's and walked to Trader Joe's).  I am also making an effort not to use handicap parking, and to park further away from my destination.  There will be days that I just cannot do this (or if I do, I will have to use my cane or lean on a shopping cart) but on the good days I will go for it!  It is nice to have the placard for bad days but I will try not to use it as a matter of regular parking.  Baby steps... literally!

On the cooking front I tried several new recipes since last posting.  I made a "pizza" frittata - OMG out of this world - I am making another one tonight.  It starts with a homemade pizza sauce.  That is added to a dozen eggs, along with a bit of Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.  Then split: Canadian bacon, pepperoni, onions, mushrooms and peppers - mix half of those in with the eggs and let it set in the pan, then move the pan to the oven.  After 10 minutes top with the other half of the mixture and top with a touch of mozzarella and bake another 10 minutes.  I got the Canadian bacon and pepperoni from Whole Foods, so it was all processed from healthy sources and with minimal ingredients. 

Then last night I made a center-cut pork loin (my first time!) rubbed with garam masala and salt - browned in a cast iron pan, then pan and all put to roast in the oven.  It was topped with an Asian pear chutney made with, of course, Asian pears (lol), onions, raisins, and a mixture of spices.  Because it was my first time making a pork loin I didn't know that I either needed a meat thermometer or could have put it in the crock pot.  It was fine for me but my husband thought it was a little dry.  Oh - and after the pork comes out of the oven you let it "rest" 20 minutes while you put sliced carrots back in the pan in the oven to roast. 

I have to say that it was the most expensive piece of meat I have ever bought (it was over $25) but when I look at what I am spending to buy top quality, I weigh that against the fact that I have not been buying ANY junk food (even "innocent" things like taco chips) or diet soda, and I have not done take-out in over two months.  I think my savings is FAR more than my expenses of shopping the way I am.  Or, at the very least, it evens out.  But in terms of evening out, the pizza frittata even with the Whole Foods pepperoni and Canadian bacon and cage-free eggs,  came to less than $2 per serving - and it was a main course!  So if I spend $30 on one dinner and $10 on another, to feed the whole family (with PLENTY of leftovers) I say, not a bad deal. 

In defense, also, of shopping at a place like Whole Foods: I have been shopping according to my shopping list.  Plenty of times I go in and things are so deeply discounted (meats, poultry AND fish) that if I were shopping "on a whim" I probably would spend less than at a conventional grocery store.  They have monthly "madness" sales (which just used to be "March Madness" but now they are year-round) along with circulars, so now that I shop there more often I will plan out according to sales.  You also can't beat the bulk sales there, along with the very inexpensive local produce they carry in season.  I suppose a lot of the discounted shopping depends upon when you hit the market, but now that I go there for my primary shopping, I can pay more attention to the sales.

Not that I have to defend shopping at Whole Foods, but I feel the need to explain myself!  It doesn't HAVE to be "Whole Paycheck" as people joke about.  Yes they have plenty of junk there (organic marshmallows are just as junky as conventional marshmallows) but if you are shopping the fresh foods there, I would name the store "Whole Health" more than I would name it "Whole Paycheck." 

Anyway!  Off to make sure I have what I need for some Christmas goodies (all Primal/Paleo) I am making!

Have a wonderful holiday, anyone celebrating the day!

Miriam


1 comment:

  1. I had to keep reading because I couldn't understand why you would have to defend yourself for shopping healthy. It's such a shame that some people have to look at the negative and not at the benefits of eating healthy.

    ReplyDelete