Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Friday, December 13, 2013

Stevia hunt

Okay, so I decided if I am doing all these virtuous things like eating grass fed beef , locally grown pork products, free range chickens and eggs, organic dairy, etc., that it would behoove me to stop the other poison going into my body on a regular basis.  Yes, she says (hanging her head in shame), I have gone back to diet soda, after having it out of my repertoire for so long.  I can almost deal with that, as I drink sparkling waters to get my fizz on.  The bigger problem is my coffee and tea, both of which I have tried without artificial sweetener (or sugar) and just feel like I am drinking boiled water and nothing else.  To me the sweetener brings out the taste of the beverage much like salt brings out the natural flavor of a food.  So yesterday I went on a hunt for Stevia.

Let me say, that, I am one of the people of the universe who has sensitive receptors toward Stevia. I knew this years ago even before the science, and gave up using it.  For me Stevia leaves a licorice taste - which even though I happen to like licorice I don't like it in my coffee.  But I thought that maybe it just takes getting used to like any other new flavor.  So yesterday I went to Whole Foods... oh my goodness - there were maybe 8 different Stevia products.  What I learned is that they ALL (but one, which I bought) have additives from maltose, dextrose and agave to "natural flavorings" and fiber supplement.  I suppose these are all to either bulk up the product or take away some of the bitterness.  At the amount used, it still all comes to zero calories, but I just didn't want anything else but the Stevia.  I finally settled on Whole Foods Stevia powdered extract. 

One little canister (the size of a spice bottle) was $8.99, but the dispensing spoon it comes with is about 1/32nd of a teaspoon, if that. (I am reminded of the tiny saccharin tablets that used to fizz up in hot drinks!)  So the bottle should last much longer than any 100-package box of the other products.  Of course, I could just learn to drink my beverages without sugar! 

Anyway, last night I made some nice recipes.  I made a sausage and egg casserole - in a pie plate with 8 slices.  There were 3 slices left this morning, and I know my Vinnie didn't get into it!  I also made some marvelous chicken - very simple - just using spice blends that I made up from Practical Paleo.  I put a different blend on each piece of chicken and just baked.  If I get home early enough today I am going to roast a chicken using an herb/citrus recipe from Against All Grain.  I am just really loving my new cookbooks!  Because we are expecting snow this weekend I did my weekly grocery shopping last night and so also picked up ingredients for a chili chuck stew for Saturday, and breakfast cookies - which I am hoping will be my go-to evening snack with tea  (both also from Against All Grain).

The only other thing (well ONE of the only other things) that I have to tackle is exercise.  I had my son bring my recumbent bike upstairs to in front of one of the televisions, and I swear, if I can use Stevia, I can use the bike.  My goal is 1/2 hour moderate cycling every day. 

Oh they are showing the weekend weather... So glad I have all my cooking ingredients and don't have to leave my house this weekend!  Hope you are all safe and sound and enjoy your own weekends.

Miriam

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of stevia either so I use Xylitol. But of course there is some controversy over that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After another go-around with Stevia I am thinking I might go back to Splenda! LOL I'll use it in just my tea for now and see if I get any enjoyment out of it and if not, at least I tried!

    ReplyDelete