Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Blood tests this time around

Okay - I only have a few days under my belt of low-carb eating but it is enough to know that I most likely will be successful with this.  It is an easy way to eat and I can honestly say it is the first eating plan in a LONG time that actually does feel like a long-term life-style change.  Plus, my commitment is about as strong as it has ever been. 

With that in mind I moved my blood tests and doctor's follow-up three months out so that the readings will be a true reflection of my dietary changes.  Furthermore, I cancelled my May 20th nutritionist appointment and the next one will be June 4th - giving me almost a full month of this way of eating so that I can go to her with any questions or concerns.

I feel that I am really taking charge of things.  Not that I haven't taken charge at other times in my life but this feels different. 

I stepped on the scale this morning and am down 5 solid pounds since my last visit with the nutritionist.  I am thrilled for the loss but I am still so far into the red zone that I can't get too excited yet, although I am encouraged. 

My meals have been loaded with vegetables.  What is working is to make a "mess" of veggies but how I have been doing them is like what I do to make soup, but then use only the veggies with about a cup of stock and some tomato sauce.  My last mixture was carrots, celery, onions, red chard, jicama, cabbage and mushrooms.  This morning I had it with extra sauce and two eggs on top.  At lunch I had it as a side with pastured chicken breast.  This evening I will make a stir fry with onions, peppers and mushrooms and coconut aminos (I don't touch soy products so use this instead of soy sauce).  Hubby bought and sliced the best watermelon and  honeydew so I am looking forward to that for dessert tonight.

Last night I stared longingly at the bananas but they are so high carb, and I have so much other fruit in the house there was no need to have one even though I had a hankering.  I also have been finding that I don't have the urge to eat at night.  When I do I will make it a piece of chicken or some other smart choice.  I haven't been doing so well with my water but at least I don't feel dehydrated as I had been.

Small steps grasshopper....

3 comments: