Welcome!

If you are new to Total Knee Replacement recovery I suggest that you read from the bottom up (starting July 2011). As I get further into recovery it becomes more about the new ME rather than the new KNEE! I hope you enjoy this blog and I welcome all your comments!

Friday, December 16, 2011

I may have turned a corner :)

Finally!  I can say that I have moved two steps forward and no steps back!  In terms of turning a corner, not a sharp right, not even a right fork... more like a very slight bearing to the right - but I'll take it.

I've noticed it as I've been taking the steps at my office up AND down, step-over-step.  Going down I have to hold on both sides (one side a railing and one side a wall).  I cannot do it if I don't have an anchor on both sides.  Going up I can hold on to just one side, and once in a while I try to do it with a "look Ma - no hands" sort of glee.  I think that as the stair-stepping gets better other things are as well.  Probably because I am getting stronger more than anything else. 

My endurance on my feet is better too.  I find that I can go grocery shopping and not be holding on to the cart for dear life by the time I make it to the check-out line.  I still do feel the swelling but it's not as massive and depressing as it had been.  What hasn't lifted at all is the numbness alongside the knee and part way down the leg.  Also, I still do look quizzically  at my knee, as it often feels as if it's been scraped, but the skin is just fine - the scrape is on the inside... weird...

I've been doing well with my dieting, and I'm hopeful that each ounce of weight loss will transfer to some relief to my knees.

Anyway - all is well, and things are looking up.  I have started taking Arthritis-Strength Tylenol since I can't take any NSAIDs.  So far so good - I think that has a bit to do with why I feel better as well.  So I'm almost at the 7-month mark, and finally feeling a little bit better about my decision to do the surgery.  I can't wait till I hit the 12-month or 18-month mark - I'm hopeful!

Miriam

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! I am happy for you. I on the other hand have regressed.WDW is killing me. Left knee is reminding me that it is still healing. After suffering 2days, I rented a scooter for the past 3days--fantastic!

    ReplyDelete